Sunday, January 21, 2007

Topic of The Week : Finding a Husband

And I am oh, so fucking tired!


This week I started interning at PT. JAS; an airline services company. The first day after interning, my mom asked a few question.. the first one was “How was work?” the second one was “Did you meet any eligible guys?” And it dawned on me.. The reason why she was so ‘supportive’ a.k.a PUSHY about this interning thing is: She wants me to meet older, as in READY TO BE WED guys!

A few days after, I returned home from work, swamped, i lay around in my parent’s bedroom. My mom was also lying there reading something. As I lay there she starts talking, asking me to bring a boyfriend home. And then, she clutched my hand looked at me deep in the eyes and said “Please Teh, Mama pengen punya cucu..” I literally got out of her room screaming.

Friday night I told Kiting about my mom’s request and her New Year’s resolution, which is : Having a familiy dinner with her Son in law to be. And How it got me quite stressed out. Because you see, as a respectful, dutiful daughter, I do, I really do want to fulfill her dreams. But on the other hand, I can’t see things the way she does and I am disappointed because other efforts and achievements I made in my life isn’t fulfilling enough. She’s proud of me of course, but she will only be happiest when I marry young with a tall wealthy healthy hard working good looking young man at least 4 years older than me. After which I am obliged to give birth to her grandchildren and stay home. NOT fulfilling MY dreams.. She is such a traditionalist!

So I spent that night talking with kiting about the future plans and evaluating those boys (yang sempet mampir) in my life. Those boys who only I get to know well and I get to date but never have any relationship with. Kiting and I agreed a certain guy actually fulfills all the criteria, the ‘blurry gem’. The only thing he lacks is he’s less than 4 years older than me. But, if I want him I have to put extra efforts which I’m not sure I want to. Cuz sometimes I wonder If I really like him..

To my desperation last night I said to Rama I need a guy I can bring home without any fuss. Sort of like a stunt man. We don’t need to have any relationship, a good friend is sufficient to show to my mom. Well, a good friend with certain criterias mentioned above to shut her up. She’ll assume we’re dating anyway. Rama offered himself since we’ve been friends for such a long time and my mom knows him so well, but it won’t work with him since his mom’s a friend of my mom’s and his sister is a friend of my sister’s. So guys, please feel free to submit your application!

;D

No comments: